TWO LEIGH PARISH COUNCILLOR VACANCIES
Have you considered being a parish councillor for Leigh’s Parish Council?
The parish council is the lowest tier of government, at local level and as such it is the most
in contact with everyday life in a village like Leigh, making it a rewarding role.
Currently Leigh Parish Council is seeking to fill two vacancies for parish councillors by cooption,
hopefully at the next Council meeting on Tuesday 17th May 2022.
If there are more volunteers than vacancies, there will be a selection process with the
parish council before, or at the next council meeting on 17 May 2022.
All volunteers for consideration must be qualified as if for election as a member of the council, ie:
- be at least 18 years old
- be a British citizen, an eligible Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of any member state of the European Union,
- and • meet at least one of the following four qualifications:
- You are, and will continue to be, registered as a local government elector for the parish/community in which you wish to stand from the day of your nomination onwards.
- You have occupied as owner or tenant any land or other premises in the parish/community area during the whole of the 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election.
- Your main or only place of work during the 12 months prior to the day of your nomination and the day of election has been in the parish/community area.
- You have lived in the parish/community area or within three miles of it during the whole of the 12 months before the day of your nomination and the day of election.
- And you are not disqualified.
You may also find guidance on the PDF which can be downloaded here.
Training is provided for successful candidates and whilst parish councillors are unpaid, they
are entitled to expenses incurred whilst carrying out their duties as a councillor. Please see
uploaded guides on the Parish Council section of the website.
The successful volunteer councillor will be asked to complete a Declaration of Acceptance
of Office and complete an electronic Register of Interests.
Please contact the Parish Clerk on or land line
01935 872380 to volunteer and to be told the next steps, or to ask any
questions. All expressions of interest, please, by no later than Monday 2nd